A Brief History of St. James CWL, Okotoks
St. James Parish Council first began in 1929. It carried on for about 8 years but did not continue due to a lack of Catholics living in the community. It was started up again and was commissioned on December 28, 1942.
St. James CWL Parish Officers 2017-2019
- Spiritual Advisor – Fr. Luciano Cortopassi
- President – Shirley Mutschler
- President-Elect – Leanne Kilcommons
- Secretary – Jeannette Selbstaedt
- Treasurer – Mary Sturgeon McGinness
- Past President – Pam McLean
- Spiritual Development – Diane Louth
- Christian Family Life – Mary Fraser
- History and Archives – Pam McLean
- Organization – Vi Lake
- Community Life – vacant
- Communications – vacant
- Education & Health – vacant
- Legislation – vacant
- Resolution – vacant
The Beginnings of Catholic Women’s League
The Catholic Women’s League of Canada (CWL) was organized nationally on June 17, 1920 and is officially recognized by the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops as a lay association of women.
In 1921, we became affiliated with the World Union of Catholic Women’s Organizations (WUCWO). The CWL was granted Federal incorporation on December 12, 1923.
The League Mission Statement: Rooted in gospel values calling its members to holiness through service to the People of God.
The patroness is the Blessed Virgin Mary under the title of “Our Lady of Good Counsel”.